Students at Colvin Run ES are assessed in many areas throughout the year. Parents will receive a notification letter about the testing their children will have, as well as the results of each test.
Some of the Virginia and Fairfax County assessments that our students take are:
- Kindergarten Math Reasoning Assessments
- Grades K-6 Developmental Reading Assessment, 2nd Edition
- Grades K-6 Universal Screener for Math and Reading (more information below)
- Naglieri for grade 1 students
- Grades 1-2 Math Reasoning Assessment
- CogAT for grade 2 students
- Grades 3-6 Electronic Curriculum Assessment Resource Tool (eCART) for Reading and Math
- Grades 3-6 Standards of Learning (SOL) tests for Math and Reading
- Virginia Studies for Grade 4
- Science for Grade 5
- World-class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) for ESOL students
This year, FCPS adopted a universal screener assessment for use with all elementary school students in kindergarten through grade 6.
The purpose of this assessment is to identify students who may have gaps in foundational literacy and mathematics skills so that teachers can plan supports appropriate for each child.
The universal screener is an online, computer-adaptive assessment. Computer-adaptive means that the difficulty of questions will adjust based on each child’s performance. When your child gets a question correct, the next question will be a little harder. When your child gets a question wrong, the next question will be a little easier. Through this adjustment process, the computer will narrow in on just the right level for your child.
The universal screener includes a reading test and a mathematics test. These tests will be given three times each year. Each school sets the specific dates for testing in each classroom within the division testing windows. For the exact dates when your child will test, please contact your child’s teacher.